Friday, November 26, 2010

Family

If I haven't mentioned this before, I should. My family is really close knit, and sometimes it becomes overwhelming to me to be three hours away and missing everything. Especially with my niece about to be two. My parents went to Cabo for Thanksgiving, so we did our Thanksgiving early. It was really nice to have all of the family around, even if they were poking at my non-existent belly and commenting about how big I have gotten. But all in all it was really great, and the boyfriend came down with me. We had a very serious 3 hour talk on the way down of course, (it seems we do nothing else now a days) but all was well and he even said that he wants to visit my family at least once a month. :)

And it snowed! We were worried that there would be too much snow on the road for us to come down in the first place, but we made it down without problems. The boyfriend didn't stay the night because he had work the next morning, but I had scheduled for snow and didn't have to be back in Seattle until Tuesday. I stayed with my sister and played with my niece non-stop. It was really fun!

Now I am back in Seattle, and I actually ended up staying an extra day because I did not have work on Tuesday as planned. Now I don't work until Saturday and part of me is excited to sleep and have some time to relax, but the other side of me is thinking "OMGFINANCES!"

The thing about holidays are this: I'm a grinch. I'm sure that will change once I have my own family, but ever since I was little, the holidays have been a bit of a drag. Probably because I am a product of a broken home and negotiating which parent gets what time slot of which day is not the easiest thing on the planet. I have no memory of my parents being together as they divorced when I was around two years old, and they both quickly remarried. My parents not getting along made holidays even worse. And it doesn't help that I think holidays are extremely commercialized and awful.

This Thanksgiving though, I put on a smiley, sleepy, hungry face and did my best, and it wasn't that bad! (I think not stopping by my bio-dad's really helped) No guilt trips, no evil grandmother, no time crunches. Fantastic! Even hanging out with the future in laws wasn't that bad. But I did end up getting horridly nauseous at their house, ending in me lying down in the boyfriend's bed and leaving early. But it was really enjoyable, and it was the first time I was introduced as "girlfriend." Long story on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment