Friday, September 17, 2010

Who, What, When, Where, How, Why

I realize by the last post that I am exploding with words, and I get sidetracked easily. So I'm going to answer the questions that were not answered by the introduction straight up middle school style.

Who: Me of course! Because I am the center of the universe.

What: I want to be a midwife, and I want to blog my journey as I make my dreams come true.

When: ASAP. Which is a long time. I don't qualify for financial aid until next YEAR, so in that time I want to get as qualified as possible to make it easier, and to itch my scratch, my need to help women enjoy the birth of their children.

Where: Bastyr University, the Simkin Center. I live in Seattle, was born in Portland, raised in a rural town in Southern Washington. Basically, born and raised in the Northwest, and freak out if I actually see the sun.

How: Doula Classes paid for by yours truly, Infant CPR, CPR, HIV/AIDS training. Finish my pre-reqs, and go to midwifery school. In the process, nanny full time for a wonderful family with twins, doula after I am qualified, possibly internship. And, read every piece of literature that I can get my hands on!

Why: Because I want to help women bring their children into this world surrounded by love and knowledge. I am slightly obsessed, and 100% fascinated by the entire reproductive cycle. Maybe because I didn't get my period until I was 17, then only had it ONCE that year. Maybe because I love babies, love pregnancy, love every part of it. I enjoy helping women, I think natural birth is exactly what the words say, NATURAL. I think that it is absurd that for some reason, women have lost the ability to birth on their own. We are no longer qualified to do something that our bodies were designed to do! And if we do choose to give birth naturally, we are crazy. Batshit crazy. We are accused of trying to win some kind of trophy or medal for doing it without pain meds. Seriously? I want to put the power of birthing back to the woman who is actually doing the birthing!


Why2: Why would I blog about this and Why would I name my blog that? The first is easy, I'm 21 years old. If I don't have at least 4 electronic devices in a ten foot radius telling strangers what I am doing, then there is no point to live, obviously. Second, the name. I pondered on it a lot, tried to come up with something amazing, and decided to just name my blog to the number one response to "I want to be a midwife!" That is: "You want to do what?" usually followed by "ewww." Half the time people don't understand why I would want to be up to my elbows in uterus, and the other half thought that midwives have been extinct along with dinosaurs. My response to them, after many attempts at explaining the real reason, was "because I'm crazy."

Because let's face it, I am.

Warning to the Readers:
This blog is not for you if:
-You are offended by language
-Don't get sarcasm.
-Get offended by graphic terms

No comments:

Post a Comment